Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The Halal Sultan Tekke Mosque - 23 March 2007

I was dropping off a friend at Larnaca airport about a 2 hour drive away so I decided to have another look at the mosque and the salt water lagoons that are just 2 minutes from the airport. It was definitely worth the trouble. The salt water lagoons were crowded with pink flamingoes and other water birds. I was lucky to have my binoculars with me but unfortunately the wild birds were out of range for the camera.

The mosque itself was a bit less mobile so I managed to get a couple of pictures.


The Halal Sultan Tekke Mosque, Larnaca

Although I caught the image it cost me dearly. I was savaged by a several mosquitos that, to judge by the size of the bite marks, must have been the size of small dogs.

You meet the most interesting and friendly of people in these places. Here I met a man from Chechnya who had been asked to visit the mosque by his teacher as part of a pilgrimage. He was dressed in a full traditional costume called a beshmet and a small pointed hat. A character straight from Arabian Nights. He was only too willing to practice his English and give me a personal tour of the mosque.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

take me there please WM X

11:50 am  
Blogger /s said...

Get yourself here then.

3:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home