Tuesday, March 27, 2007

From the Home of Xenon of Kition - 27th March 2007

One of the similarities that I notice from living in Cyprus, Sweden and to my limited knowledge also the USA is the number of unsolicited bits of junk advertising that drop through my letter box. They are usually for local supermarkets and electrical stores listing their latest bargain offers. These flyers are actually quite useful and are eagerly awaited by the locals. Over here they are not content to merely slip them into your letter box but you will also be assailed at each set of traffic lights by people pushing them through any available open window in the car.

One recent letter box delivery that did catch my eye was for “Mind, Body and Spirit Exhibition”. It came with a glossy magazine that described the exhibition and the various presenters. These were the usual motley collection of psychics, palmreaders, regression therapists, tuning fork healers, rebirther trainers etc. I have seen similar exhibitions advertised back in the UK and it always amazes me that they need such an extensive advertising campaign. Surely if the psychics were any good then all of that would be unnecessary and people would just turn up. Maybe I am too sceptical.

A selection of flyers including my favourite.



I continued to read the glossy magazine that ‘celebrates the 11th in the current series of events promoting holistic health and self-development’. Again I am surprised they needed to have so many, surely one would have been enough or maybe two to pick up the stragglers like myself.


To my amazement there staring from the glossy pages was a face I recognised. A lady of a certain age who has stayed in the village several times. She had a long and impressive resume and longer list of letters after her name. She was described as being able to offer ‘Private Tarot Readings, Psychic Awakening Courses, Palmistry, Crystal, Reiki & Angel Readings’ and many more besides.

She is well known around the village for an encounter that she experienced with the spirits in Otto’s coffee shop that caused her to fall from her bar stool banging her head on a table. Still under the influence of these powerful spirits she proceeded to talk in a foul and abusive tongue to the locals before staggering out of the door. She was last seen the next day leaving the village with a black eye that had resisted her extensive healing powers.

My own experiences with the local spirits were equally painful and now I stick to the beer.


I like to think that Xenon (also known as Xeno of Citium) would be smiling.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dont people like that make yo feel proud to be british!! Oh the shame.

12:25 pm  
Blogger /s said...

Oh don't worry about it. The Cypriots love her so much they now have her picture from the magazine pinned over their dart board.

9:34 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home